Here at A&E Air Conditioning and Heating it surprises us how many of our customers take air quality for granted and pay little attention to ensuring the quality of air in their homes is the best it can be.
So, why is air quality so important?
The main answer to that is your health and wellbeing. Poor air quality can lead to numerous problems for you, and also for your home. We have always been concerned about air quality and decided to provide you with a short but helpful guide on what to do and what to look out for in your home.
- What is indoor air quality? – According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, “Indoor air quality is a metric that refers to the air quality within and around buildings and structures, especially as it relates to the health and comfort of building occupants.”
- Poor indoor air quality can lead to sore throats, irritated eyes, dizziness, fatigue and headaches in the short term, while in the longer term, poor air quality can lead to respiratory problems, heart disease and even cancer, depending on the level of exposure to poor air quality.
- If you or any of the inhabitants of your home suffer from asthma, poor air quality can lead to increased bouts and an exacerbation of their condition.
So, what causes poor air quality in your home?
- If you have an HVAC or AC unit, if filters are not kept clean and ducting not cleaned regularly, you can end up circulating dust and other microbes around your home
- External air pollutants entering via windows and vents
- Harsh chemicals used in cleaning products
- Tobacco smoke
- Dirty carpets and curtains, as well as unclean hard-to-reach surfaces which don’t get touched during regular household chores
If you are not sure about the quality of the air in your home, why not give us a call and we can come out and advise you on any precautions you can take and changes you can make to your home to improve the overall air quality.