210-404-2665

    Schedule an appointment






     

    0% Financing with Approved Credit Available!

    Carbon Monoxide – You Can’t See It And You Can’t Smell It, But You Can Still Detect It

    There is an expression that says: “What you don’t know can’t hurt you,” but there isn’t a version for what you can’t see. In fact, when it comes to carbon monoxide, it is more a case of: “What you can’t see and can’t smell will hurt you.” Here at A&E Air Conditioning and Heating we cannot stress strongly enough just how important it is to make sure that if you have a gas furnace or any other gas appliance in your home, you have it regularly maintained and throughout your home you have carbon monoxide detectors installed.

    So why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?

    It is dangerous because you don’t know if there is a build-up of it in your home until it is too late. You cannot taste it or smell it, and it is undetectable to the naked eye. It is known as the silent killer. But are there any clues that you may have a build-up of carbon monoxide in your home?

    Unusual sleepiness, chronic fatigue and symptoms similar to the flu can be an indicator that you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

    One of the reasons carbon monoxide poisoning is so dangerous is because your body absorbs it when you breathe, but it does not immediately disappear, having a half-life of approximately four-to-five hours. It can also lead to oxygen starvation in the brain and lead to permanent brain damage.

    However, we don’t want you to be scared about carbon monoxide poisoning as there are simple steps you can take to avoid any build up of the poisonous gas, and to alert you if there is. As mentioned, regular servicing of your gas furnace is essential, as is the installation of carbon monoxide detectors. There should be one in or just outside each bedroom in your home, and at least one on each other level, if your home uses one natural gas appliance, has an adjoining garage or fireplace.

    If you are unclear what you should do to protect yourself against carbon dioxide, give us a call at A&E Air Conditioning and Heating in Bulverde, TX and we’ll be more than happy to come out and advise you.

    Carbon Monoxide

     

    **A&E Air Conditioning & Heating is a full service HVAC company providing Air Conditioning and Heating installation and repair services in San Antonio, Bulverde, New Braunfels, Boerne, Buda, Kyle and surrounding areas.