It is always sad to read of anyone who has been killed in their home as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. What may surprise many of you though, is the fact that carbon monoxide isn’t the product of normal combustion of gas in a furnace and that poisoning is often not as the result of poor home ventilation alone.
If your furnace is operating properly, carbon monoxide should not be produced, so if it is, then there is a problem with the furnace, not your home’s ventilation.
It is impossible to put a value on a person’s life, but for sure it has to be worth more than the cost of a regular maintenance checkup of your gas furnace. Peace of mind comes along with personal well-being after you have had your heating system checked over, ideally twice a year, but definitely it must be an annual event.
So, improper installation of a furnace, poor maintenance and/or bad ventilation around the furnace can all lead to the production of carbon monoxide. Here at A&E Air Conditioning and Heating, our heating engineers have highly sensitive testing equipment which can detect even the slightest traces of carbon monoxide, well before the level can build up to dangerous proportions. Our ability to detect non-toxic levels of carbon monoxide are far better for you than your waiting for your own domestic carbon monoxide detector to work. You have got one fitted, haven’t you?
As for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, then the best way would be to describe them as being similar to those of a heavy flu, but without a fever. Nausea, dizziness, vomiting, fatigue and shortness of breath can also be symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Your safest option is for you to give us a call and schedule a regular checkup of your gas furnace. We’ll include a check of your carbon monoxide alarm, or fit one for you if you haven’t already got one.