Your HVAC unit doesn’t need round-the-week maintenance, but at certain times of the year it is best to double-check everything is in perfect working order, such as the beginning of summer and the beginning of winter. There’s nothing worse than the system giving up the ghost the first boiling-hot or freezing-cold day of the year. Here’s five of the best tips to make sure your HVAC unit runs at its best when needed the most:
- Get a regular tune-up and inspection – at least once a year, but ideally twice, get a professional HVAC engineer to give your unit a quick check over and tune-up. Prevention isn’t just better than a cure, it’s also less expansive! A regularly serviced HVACX unit will last many years more than one which is checked infrequently.
- Keep your air filters clean – your HVAC unit puts effort into drawing air through filters. If those filters become clogged up with dust and debris, then the HVACX unit has to work overtime, consumes more energy, and runs less efficiently. You don’t need an HVAC engineer to do this, here at A&E Air Conditioning and Heating we can show you how when we come out.
- Eliminate gaps – check the ducting in your system, as a leak in a duct will result in the escape of cold or hot air, making your system seem as though it is running efficiently.
- Get your thermostat checked and replaced if readings are not accurate. As qualified HVAC engineers we can check the calibration of your thermostat and replace it if it is defective. Every degree more cold or heat your HVAC unit generates costs more money, while an accurate thermometer will pay for itself in no time.
- Accept that there comes a time when you have to replace your HVAC unit – there will always come a time when your HVAC unit stops being reliable, and repairs begin to get more and more costly. Repairs should last for several years, but if repairs become frequent, there comes a time when you would be better to invest in a new unit.
With winter now knocking at the door, this is the best time to get your HVAC unit fully checked out, so that afterwards you can relax and enjoy a warm home without any nasty and untimely surprises. Give us a call and we’ll be happy to discuss the cost of our services, or come out to give you a free quote for a new HVAC system.